Monday, 5 July 2010

Free Motion Quilting

Last week I got myself a shiny new free motion foot. In my mind I saw myself stippling quilts effortlessly with graceful swirls and perfect pebbles...It would make my life so much more easy I would be able to quilt my quilts in a fraction of the time it takes me to hand quilt them. I saw myself worrying over what to do with all these quilts I'd make - I'd run out of space!
I was so wrong! lol!
Have a look at my first feeble steps in the world of free motion quilting..



I feel like a spider on roller-skates trying to control my speed, feeding the fabric and trying to make something that vaguely resembles a pattern. And the stitches! I can't manage two stitches close to being the same length! I'm practicing a little each day now, hoping and praying to the Goddess Seamstress that I might be worthy of acquiring this skill.




I've found this wonderful blog on free motion quilting lots of great video's on how to do pretty much anything related to free motion quilting and lots of designs { wich are much too advanced for me at this moment}

Meanwhile I still have to baste 'somewhere where the orchids grow' . I've been ill and so has my little monster so I didn't get a chance to go out and buy wadding and backing fabric yet. Can't wait to start quilting it! Although I do think I'll stay on the safe side and hand quilt.

Be back soon!

2 comments:

  1. That's so funny! I'm totally terrified of machine quilting - especially free-motion and have never dared try it so you are already a lot braver than me! I'm making a proper "grown up" star quilt for my parents' golden wedding anniversary at the moment and it just doesn't seem like the kind of quilt that would look good with my usual rough attempts at hand quilting so I think I'm going to have to get it professionally quilted. In the meantime I should probably copy you and start practice quilting on small things! Good luck!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I have yet to get a free motion foot. Thanks for the link - I must check out the video when the kids are asleep tonight. Off to check out the rest of your blog.. I think I saw a quilted pillow with bird. So cute. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)