Friday, 29 October 2010

~ Bloggers Quilt Festival ~



This is my first entry in the Blogger's Quilt Festival. Last time round I had such good fun hopping blogs and reading about all the wonderful quilts that are made. So I decided to join in on the fun and share a quilt with you all.




You can read about this quilt here as well, I'm sorry about the poor quality of the pictures, this was when I first started blogging and didn't have much experience in taking nicer pictures of my quilts yet!
Anyway...

I picked this quilt because this was the quilt that sparked my quilting addiction. I started quilting 5 years ago when I was pregnant with my son. I made him a patchwork blanket and a baby quilt and had a go at some larger sized quilts. None of wich turned out great but still, I enjoyed making those quilts. When I started making this quilt I hadn't sewn in such long time that I had to look under a pile of old fabrics and dig out my machine first!

This quilt was made for my friend's daughter Lola. She came over one day and saw some pillows I'd made and loved them. So I showed her some of the quilts I had done and she asked me to make one for her daughter.
I started off with a different design, pieced the entire quilt even started to quilt it but I just hated it! So I decided to start over again, and I'm really glad I did.
I drew this design on tracing paper, taped it to my window and traced it on a piece of white fabric. It was my first applique and embroidery quilt and I was so pleased with how it turned out.


A lot of time and love went into stitching and hand quilting this. But my friend absolutely loves this quilt and I'm sure this is one that will be kept in their family for many years to come!
I've been on a non stop sewing spree since :-D

Thanks for stopping by!

x Leila

32 comments:

  1. Lovely quilt and a nice story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't have guessed that was one of your first quilts! It looks great and I love the combination of the applique and the embroidery! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful quilt - the applique is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. my daughter is called Lula- only one letter difference- so this caught my eye. The stitching is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leila, Thanks for visiting my blog... this quilt will definately be cherished for years to come... its absolutely beautiful!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt!!! I love all the embroidery on it, and the butterflies, and the red spotty hearts. Its all so gorgeous!! I bet Lola treasures it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Applique and Embroidery - my absolute favorite combination for quilts. Love what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers and embroidery.

    I kept on seeing your name in other bloggers comments and had to see who the other Leila was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story and beautiful quilt Leila. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very pretty quilt!!
    Love your applique and embroidery work. I have to say it caught my eye in the festival because my is also Lola!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How could you not love it - its a great quilt. The designand fabrics are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am absolutely in love with this quilt - every single thing about it. This is too sweet for words!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful - I love the applique on it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect quilt for a young girl. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeous stitching lovely colour yum

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing handwork on your quilt! It came out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt! Lovely stitching as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my! This quilt has a bit of everything I love. Florals. A name(I have yet to get up the guts to do any names or words on quilts and how I love them so !) and a butterfly , another of my loves.

    This is a true beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a pretty quilt. Lovely work with the embroidery and applique. What a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the quilt and the pillow in your banner is just gorgeous.

    Greetings from France,are you Dutch, me also.....

    http://busybeefree.blogspot.com/2010/10/bloctoberfest-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a great quilt with wonderful efforts behind its creation. I enjoyed reading your story about it. I bet your friend's daughter will treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful quilt and a great story. Love the colors you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous quilt and love your hand quilting - there are so few of us doing this these days!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh wow, this is so pretty. I love your embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such a lovely quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an utterly sweet and cheerful quilt for a lucky girl. What a generous gift. It has a nice vintage feel. Lovely handwork. Thanks for sharing.
    Come see my antique 1890 schoolhouse quilt
    http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com/
    or my black/white/pink scrappy miniature
    http://starleyquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. too cute! I love your applique and can't believe it was your first time :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful quilt. Love the pillow in your banner too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a beautiful quilt. I just love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. your quilt is just adorable and beautiful! it is indeed a treasure. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)