Monday, 6 December 2010

Zig~Zag Quilt Finished!

I finished this quilt a while back actually. But it has taken me a good long time to get some half decent shots of it. I'm honestly not the best photographer on a good day. But these dark and gloomy days have really thrown me off.
After reading every tip I could find on how to improve picture quality religiously I managed to create this rather fun mosaic to show off my quilt. Inspired by the fabulous pictures of Brooke, go have a look she's really talented!

Zig~Zag Quilt

So, a bit about this quilt:
Fabrics are Hope Valley by Denyse Schmidt I got mine from Raystitch and Kona Ash from Simply Solids. Rachel was lovely in replacing one of the FQ's wich had a manufacturing problem, it got here almost a day after I'd sent her an email! How sweet is that!? :-)
It measures about  56" x 70" {140x 175 cms}.

Zig~Zag Quilt {Binding Detail}

I used a wonderful tutorial by Crazy Mom Quilts for making this no triangles zig zag quilt. I tweeked it a little to make it work for me. I used fat quarters instead of the long quarters suggested, because that's what I had. Ten of them instead of 9 as well. I also added some Kona Ash to the top and bottom rows so as not to have to cut through the points in squaring up and binding the quilt. I can really recommend this, it's a little extra piecing but it looks much better I think. This is by far the easiest way to make a zig~zag quilt I can think of! It's so nice not to have to deal with all those bias cut half square triangles!



 I pieced the backing with some left overs and more Kona Ash, machine quilted on the diagonal. 
Meanwhile the snow here is melting during the day and freezing solid again at night. It's dangerous out there! Wich only means I've got a good excuse to stay in and sew some more :-)

Thanks for stopping by!
x Leila


5 comments:

  1. just lovely (another for my 2011 list!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finish! I like the photo compilation too, those shots work well together like that. And lovely binding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leila Your quilt looks lovely And the photos are great I am the worlds worst with A camera so you are not the only one You are doing A lot better than Me.
    Hugs Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just lovely! Great pics too, especially the folded on a chair shot

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt! The colors are so fresh. I've never made a zigzag before. Yours is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)