Sunday, 1 May 2011

+&x blocks (Fresh Sewing Day)

Fresh Sewing Day @ Lily's Quilts

It's Fresh Sewing Day again, hosted by Lynne@ Lily's Quilts click on her button and head on over there to link up your own favorite sewing project of this month!

Mine has to be the +&x blocks I made, there's a quilt along for these over on Flickr if you'd like to join in the fun.
I've sewed some more of these babies last week and I'm loving them to bits!

+&x blocks progress

I don't think I'll end up keeping the blocks in this order but it's nice to visualize the finished quilt top with these collages.

The blocks are inspired by this quilt, made by Setsuko Inagawa that was displayed at the Tokyo Quilt Festival. We've since traced back this block to 1938  when it was attributed to Nancy Cabot, according to the Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilts by Barbara Brackman.

My weekend was all about the royals between Kate and William's wedding {that dress!!} on friday and Queen's Day yesterday I have seen enough people with silly hats waving for a long while now ;-)

How is your weekend?

x Leila


17 comments:

  1. Very lovely work and such a nice change in colour combinations. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those X and + blocks are just so stunning - I love your fabric choices so much on them, I wish I could put together scrappiness like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blocks - great scrappy look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful- can't wait to see what the final quilt looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely fabric choices you have made in the blocks - look forward to seeing the finished article

    ReplyDelete
  6. You X+ blocks are awesome!!! That is going to be the most amazing quilt!!Thanks for all the background about them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the fabrics you've chosen and how the background of each block is different. amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blocks. I love fabric with text on so am loving your choices. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. These blocks are really great - the pattern is lovely and your fabric choices are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blocks, they will make such a stunning quilt! And yes I know what you mean about the waving and the silly hats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the blocks are beautiful - I love the fabrics and the way you've combined them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The second square in the top row caught my eye immediately. The entire thing is just lovely. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a great quilt! love your fabric choices! good luck with the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love, love these!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blocks are very pretty and such a unique layout, too!
    Mrs. Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those blocks are so cute! Makes me want to make them!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)