Sunday, 10 July 2011

Practicing Paper Piecing

After following around the Ringo Pie girls like a puppy for months, I thought it was high time I'd start practicing paper piecing.
It so happened that for this month of Fresh Modern Bee we got to make whatever we wanted. So when my bee fabrics arrived I was quick to jump. It's always a bonus if you get someone else fabrics to experiment with....much easier to cut into right?! ;-)
I used Ayumi's tutorial for this coffee pot block, her work is such an inspiration and I'm so glad she was generous enough to share.

Here's my version.


FMB 2 July block

I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, not perfect but it was pretty much my first attempt so that's to be expected.

If you are like me and could do with some help and tips on how to go about designing your own paper pieced blocks, Melinda has done a very helpful post on her blog about numbering your pieces.  You can read it here

I'd love to hear your tips and tricks for paper piecing, do you have a book or site to recommend?
I need all the help I can get! If I get enough resources together to make some sort of list I'll do a follow up post to make it easier to find what you are looking for, sounds like a good deal right?

Have a happy Sunday,

x Leila

9 comments:

  1. I know Kerry has a book and talked about doing a tute but I don't think she's done it yet - she and Penny Sewtakeahike - oh and Ayumi - are pretty much unparalelled as far as I'm concerned in Ringo Pie. I love classic paper piecing but not paper piecing pictures which I find to be a PITA! LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog header - captures your style totally - kind of cool, retro, vintage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found Ruth B McDowells PIecing Workshop incredibly useful. I tend to draw on the reverse of the freezer paper and then iron it on the reverse of the fabric whihc is counter intuitive but effective. Sonja at Artisania has helpful videos and tutorials on the sort of piecing where you stitch through the paper. Love the header just as Lynne says!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it turned out fab!!!! good luck with your pp adventure! I've found that the best thing for me to do to learn to number the pieces is to sit with designs and just do it and try it. I guess I'm kinda hands on that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this looks great! Thanks for the link to that tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job! I agree with penny. just give things a try, it's really less technical than you might think. And looks like you've got the basics down, so go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fabulous! I just PP the same tut. Yours is lovely. I would love it if you continued to share your adventure with PP because I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this - Just went and checked out the pattern because I've wanted to do some Paper Piecing but every time I've seen a tutorial there seems to be lots of sewing back to front, upside down - weirdy instructions to follow. These make perfect sense though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you so much for linking to my blog. your teapot block is fantastic. i look forward to what you design next :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love paper piecing, I just recently started it myself. This is what I made paper piecing, it was awesome fun!

    http://stitchrabbit.typepad.com/stitch-rabbit/2011/05/paper-piecing-is-so-much-fun.html

    xo stitch rabbit

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)