Wednesday, 24 August 2011

Work In Progress ~ Wednesday~

I've finally made a decision what to do with my Anna Maria Horner stash.
A quilt for my bed, that's what I settled on a while back but the design.. I couldn't make my mind up about that. First I started ambitiously with some English paper piecing. I love this design, but I feared I would never ever get a full sized quilt finished this way!

AMH paperpieced circles w.i.p

Then I though I'd let my fellow Fresh Modern Bee2 members come up with some amazing blocks, and they did!
But all the while I wasn't sure which way to go with this quilt. Until finally I made up my mind and went for squares...genius right?! No, not really but I love simple patchwork squares and these fabrics are so pretty to look at why cut them up even more? I made big blocks 9" square with a few pieced ones scattered in to add a little interest and to use up some of the scraps I had left.


It's a big quilt 72" x 81" and will cover my bed up nicely. Basting wasn't fun, but I'm using this wonderfully soft silk batting and a voile backing. It's going to be such luxury to sleep under this!
I'm now figuring out how to quilt it. Because the design is so simple I want to make the quilting a bit more interesting so I'm experimenting with a flower design and perle cottons. I'll let you know how that goes!

AMH quilt 2

x Leila

P.S. I've put some lovely Anna Maria Horner scrap bags in my shop they'd be perfect for some scrappy pillows or even some English paper piecing!

15 comments:

  1. I think this is looking fab and a great idea for a big bed quilt. I think the quilting looks lovely and adds a nice detail. I think sometimes we get a bit distracted by all the complicated patterns when actually simple squares are often the best way to show off beautiful prints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE the flower quilting. It is really pretty and unexpected :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I love it! and the flower quilting is gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! Love it all!! Where did you get the templates for the English paper piecing? That pattern is fabulous!!
    Loving the quilted flowers too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fantastic and I love the quilting you've started to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh! I love the quilting! This is so inspiring! Deep down I want to make a quilt for my queen-sized bed but my machine certainly can't handle that. So hand-quilting would be the way to go. This is good motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a stack of little folks and want to make a tactie and simple quilt and never seem to get round to it- your squares are perfect and the quilting is very beautiful, just adds to the texture and silkiness

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous Leila! I love what you are doing here, you are totally right about letting simple squares show off the beauty of those fabulous fabrics. And I love your beautiful quilting! Very inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness! This is going to be a beautiful quilt. I really like the flowers against the simple squares!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the squares, they are really one of my very favorite quilts, and yet I keep doing all kinds of other things. But yes, that fabric is so beautiful it doesn't need much help to shine! And your flower quilting experiment is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilting on this is just perfect. I can imagine how soft it will be to sleep under.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is lovely! I love everything AMH and this quilt is great! I made a 9" squares quilt from the Little Folks line... and it's still my favorite quilt ever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love it!

    I just finished basting together my Loulouthi quilt about an hour ago, it is quite simple in construction like yours, and I've been going around and around in circles in my head wondering how to best quilt it.

    I just love what you are doing, it is beautiful. I've bought perle cottons for the first time with this quilt. Usually I just use a cotton thread that blends in.

    I can't wait to see how the finished quilt looks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! That quilting is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm planning on making an AMH voile quilt with simple squares, rectangles or huge HST's (not decided yet). i'll probably hand quilt it, too, but that'll be super simple, too. i was planning on a bamboo batting, but your silk batting sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)