Friday, 9 September 2011

sewing for men

Is it just me or do you find it difficult as well to come up with fun things to sew for the men in your life? All things fabric and quilted seem much too soft and feminine to me.
Trying to come up with handmade gifts for men can result in some pretty 'interesting' projects. But I personally don't know any man with a great desire to own a quilted tool belt ;-)

Imagine my delight when my Mr. asked me to sew him something! He has just bought himself a new i-pad and in his quest to keep the toy in pristine condition asked me to sew him some sort of case to keep it in. I happily took on my mission to come up with the right shape and size and most of all find the perfect fabric for it.

When I came across this wonderful print by Alexander Henry, I knew that it was just perfect for the job.



i-pad sleeve for my Mr.

It was a little fiddly to get the fabric alignment just right so none of the 'ladies' got decapitated! I am glad it all worked out in the end. The rest of this i-pad sleeve came together quite easily.
My Mr. says it rocks, I call that a mission accomplished!

What kind of things do you like to sew for your husbands, boyfriends, fathers and brothers? I'd love to know!

Leila x

13 comments:

  1. wow! Thats really cool :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha-cha-cha!!! that case rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And find the perfect fabric you did! I know he is delighted..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - it's hard. I made my fiance a Dark Lord cape - yep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drats! i was hoping others would list ideas. Men are tricky to make gifts for!! I have made Comfort Pillows and Monogram Pillows for the men in my life... with fabric that is manly ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is hard! I agree. I recently made Mark a Sampler Quilt that I was pretty happy with because I enjoyed making it yet it looks masculine. Other than that, I have made him an eyeglass case and a tripod bag and that's it in 13 years of marriage! Your case is spiffy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That case is awesome! If my Mr. had an iPad I'd be all for it...although I'd probably use it more than he would. ;)

    As for sewing for the Mr. it is tough. In fact, I have been sewing a black on black tumbling blocks quilt for him for oh... (cough) 10 years. I've recently been challenged by another blogger to finish it. You can see all about the challenge here! http://makingrebeccalynne.blogspot.com/search/label/challenge%20tumbling%20blocks

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very cool! it is hard to know what to make. It was my brothers birthday a few days ago and I'd have loved to have made him something but there is nothing I could make he'd appreciate. I've made my other half tea/brew kit holders, cushion and a cushion camera support but I'm running out of things to make him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job! Thanks for sharing & Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool. I know what you mean about making stuff for men. Though my husband is getting a (very last minute) quilt for his birthday next week. Though rather bizarrely he has suggested that I sew a cover for the ironing board.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that did turn out perfect! Most of the things I've made for my Mr. are things he requested to have like a tablet pc sleeve and a passport pouch for when we travel...

    ReplyDelete
  12. your guy is lucky! i don't really sew for my husband. i just sew for my little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know what I'll quilt for my husband, but I bought a ton of this fabric for a quilt back. Love the case.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)