Tuesday, 20 September 2011

sewing a shirt

September is Amisha's month in Patchwork 318 the bee.
She chose the sewing themed blocks for her month, which is a most excellent theme! I actually wanted to do something similar for my month but I think I'll come up with something else instead. After all we want to make the most out of the wonderful block patterns in this book.

Anyway I picked the shirt block because I'm still new at paper piecing and this block seemed so straight forward. No curves just a few triangles. Simple right?


P1000906


Well looks can be deceiving! See the small strip of white background by the collar?  Those are itty bitty inset seams!!



P1000906


I struggled for two hours with that collar yesterday before I threw in the towel. But a new day can make all the difference and today I managed to sew those corners down correctly - pfiew!
The rest of the block is simple and I got to do a little embroidery as well which was fun.
The block measures 6 1/2" and is made with DS Quilts and Kona snow fabric.


This bee certainly is challenging but lots of fun and very inspirational too. Did you see the amazing sewing machine block Kerry made yesterday?

 x Leila

16 comments:

  1. Inset seams- such fun! I have done a lot of these and I till have to take my time and take a lot of deep breaths. You have done a wonderful job with this block

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inset seams might have brought me to tears! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your block! It's perfect in every inch!

    PS. Funny thing with sewing something the day after - it's always bringing better effects:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your block is fabulous! great going! A good night's sleep is often a good remedy to sewing 'hiccups', don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful teeny shirt! Much nicer to look at than my hubby's on the ironing board - sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't think i know what an inset seam is, but it sure is beautiful in your block. the first time i saw this block i marveled at how beautiful it was. now this second time i wonder if you need more of that DS print. i think it is on sale this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. your block is fabulous and i love picnics and fairgrounds!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is the most amazing block and the result is really sweet - I am not sure I am quite up to that level of skill though!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That shirt is too too cute! What an amazing job you did, your stitching looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I just discovered your blog and love your block. I am going to have to learn to paper piece soon. It's intimidating to me for some reason though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute! Great job. It looks just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this block is simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is soooo amazing! Since I'll never be able to find/afford Patchwork 318, do you know of a good alternative book?

    The publisher Shambhala is re-publishing some Japanese craft books. I'm going to suggest that they re-publish that one!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)