Monday, 17 October 2011

October Bee Blocks

Thanks to all your wonderful tips I finished this months cocorico bee block .
I tried most of the suggestions for the antennae, before settling on these .The bias tape applique looked too whimsical, which is not what I was after with this block. After a few stitches of embroidery I thought it didn't show enough contrast.. I can not for the life of me master free motion so I just 'stitched and turned'


Annabel's Orchard - Cocorico Bee block October
Annabel's Orchard

 I'm pleased with how this block came out and I do think it rather looks more like a moth/butterfly than a half dresden now. Annabel asked for 12" x 16" blocks to make placemats for her dinner guests. Although I do think she has changed her mind on letting food touch her blocks now ;-)

Next up is the block I made for Kerry for our Patchwork 318 bee.
Kerry chose 'afternoon tea' as her theme, which I love. I drink it by the bucket so this was definitely a theme I could work with ;-)


Kerry's Afternoon Tea - Patchwork 318 Bee - October

I actually think Kerry's afternoon tea is a lot more refined than mine. No buckets there but a fine collection of vintage cups and saucers she picked up on one of her trips to the car boot sale.
This block measures 6 1/2" unfinished.

Next month we'll hit the slopes with Krista, she and her family enjoy skiing something I know nothing about! The bar has been set amazingly high already have a look at Amy's block!!
And I get to choose a theme for the 318 bee, I have not settled on a final idea yet but I will keep you all posted.

x Leila


12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! You have been making the most beautiful things! The colour is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The butterfly/moth looks fabulous! And your piecing in the 'afternoon tea' block is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of these blocks. I too am a tea lover! Thanks for the link to my block...it was so kind of you. Love your work as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beauties all round! Although I have a lot of vintage crockery I like large cups of tea- most of my mugs are massive! I can't start the day without a very large mug of earl grey from a teapot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your block is brilliant, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I SO wish I could get my hands on that 318 patchwork book. If I ever CAN locate it, it is astronomically expensive! Your work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, your blocks are fabulous!!! Lucky bee-mates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The butterfly/moth turned out so stunning! Congrats on working through it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cushions, no wonder they are flying. The idea you talk about I think is very popular in Australia - they seem to do a lot of "stitchery" and incorporate it into their quilts and bags etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't get the hang of free-motion stitching either, I thought I was the only person who turns the fabric while stitching normally!
    You have some fab stitchery on your blog, loving the quilt blocks, they have my fingers itching to get onto my sewing machine.
    Hop over to my blog and say hi sometime
    http://handmadebyclairebear.com

    Claire

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)