Friday, 23 March 2012

Wiksten Tank

After enjoying my Tova tops so much I knew I wanted to sew the tank top as well. By now you have probably heard already that Wiksten patterns are available as a PDF download. Most excellent news for all of us outside of the US!
So I got myself a copy of the tank top pattern as soon as I found out and started cutting and taping all the pattern pieces together. I quickly sewed up a non wearable muslin to check for size measurements and then dove straight into the precious Liberty Tana Lawn I had been saving for just such a project.

I was a little hasty as a day later I got a revised copy of the pattern more suitable for non US paper sizes. The result was a little struggle with the neck binding, but I persevered and it looks nice enough now.

Wiksten Tank
I should have given it a quick iron before the photo but lets just say this is me keeping it real, when I wear the top it creases ;)

I chose not to do the pocket, I think it is cute but I like the top just as well without it. I love the shape and the fit of this top, it is everything Jenny is so very clever at, simplicity at it's best. I like the low cut front and no gaping armholes excellent!

 The only thing that isn't working as well for me is the back of the neckline. Unfortunately I couldn't capture this on photo ( it is tricky taking photo's of yourself!) but it stands up a little.
I may have to take in the shoulder seams but I am worried it will leave me too little room at the arm holes. Or perhaps I should have lowered the neckline at the back a bit...any ideas?
I am not too fussed as I tend to wear my hair down anyway but I do want to improve my dressmaking skills so I know in the future how to fix these little things.

In other news, I am the featured Blogger's Quilt Festival quilter on Amy's blog today! 

The sun is shining, I must go out to play.
Have a lovely weekend,

x Leila


17 comments:

  1. By "sticks up a bit" do you mean it doesn't lay flat against your back? If that is the case you would be best to slash out a section of the neckline either toward the center or 2 slashes one above each shoulder blade. Like making a dart but you're actually going to remove a small section of pattern. Taking up the straps will just move the problem higher up your neck and make arm holes smaller. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning Leila! Nobody sees the back anyway ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! I love that print and it'll be such a fun top to wear all summer. your hair is so pretty too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely, creases and all!
    My dress-making skills would require a coat over the top, not just hair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute - and how amazing to make it in Libery lawn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Supper cute!! Looks lovely in the lawn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very pretty leila! i love the color and with it being liberty lawn i bet it feels heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great. Been seeing a lot of these popping up on the blogs! Love the fabric.!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, it's so pretty! I have mine all printed ready to cut. Will tackle the Tova first I think then pick a fabric for this one. LOVE it in the Liberty of course! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous Leila. I adore the green liberty you've used. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the first commenter was right - you need a narrow back adjustment, and you'll just remove a little bit out of the top of the pattern before you cut out your fabric. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute!!!! I had the same problem with the back not lying flat. It kind of stands up on it's own.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOh! I love it. You did a great job and look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so lovely, especially in this fabric! I had the same issue with the back of the neck - I took in a dart starting center back neck and going down the back. My solution doesn't look great from the back, so next time I might try what SewGurl suggested and adjust the pattern a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! I just bought the pattern and am planning to make one out of some voile this week. Yours is lovely, I might have to make one in Liberty too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so pretty - I love the colour and print. Perfect for spring and summer! You mentioned that ou got a revised copy for non US paper sizes - can I ask where you got it from? I've just made a small and it still seems quite big, I'm wondering if it's due to a printing problem (I'm in the UK). I'm definitely not an extra-small, despite wishing I was! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)