Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Cocorico June- Artist's Studio

June is Amy's month in Cocorico. She asked us to make an artist's studio block.
Initially I thought I would make a block of colouring pencils but inspiration lead me elsewhere and I ended up with this pencil sketch block instead. I quite like it when a block design just sort of happens.
Cocorico June - artist's studio

I used the letters from Patchwork 318 and drafted the pencil myself. I played with the word 'sketch' and 'draft' first but the block was getting rather large as it is so I had to go with the smallest word. I chose to leave the 'T' unfinished (lighter) to go with my idea of a sketch and it felt more in keeping with the studio theme.

Cocorico June - artist's studio


I am quite tickled by the idea of sketching the word art, this unfinished, undefined 'drawing' of a word that many have tried to define. I like that it's not a sketch at all but just pieces of fabric trying to convey the texture of a pencil and the lines that it draws. I love the illusion of it all!

x Leila


14 comments:

  1. Really lovely touch with the unfinished T :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and wonderful block! The rubber looks so real!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, love how you did the background, it looks just like graph paper

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this - it is so ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous block! Am in love with pieced words too but doing it the improv way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great block, from a great idea x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the unfinished last letter! Such a lovely block, a simple idea (if not exactly a simple bit of sewing) executed to perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting concept on the block! =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it Leila, especially the eraser on the end, wonderful block for Amy's theme

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love it Leila, thank you for taking the time to make it for me. I love the unfinished letter...great idea! And your fabric choices are perfect for the block and for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it, too! The lighter T is my favorite aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely block. By the way love the Liberty tutorial. Living so close to London shop is difficult. I need holding down whenever I am in the neighbourhood - it is so expensive!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)