Wednesday, 11 July 2012

a new bag

While the relentless rain makes it feel much less like July than I did hope it does allow for more indoor sewing time. I have made this same bag twice before and since wanted one that I could keep.

Patchwork bag


The pattern is from Natural Patchwork by Suzuko Koseki, but instead of hexagons I like to use squares. I especially enjoy rummaging through my scrap bins searching for just the right pieces of fabric to make up the exterior.

Patchwork bag



The interior is a linen cotton blend in a pebble sort of grey with irregular white stripe. It is more of a dressmaking weight but of course that would not deter me from using it anyway. After some iron on interfacing it was quite well behaved and no real trouble to sew with.

Patchwork bag


I think this is just the right sort of bag for a picnic or a trip to the swimming pool but in reality it will probably most often be seen at the supermarket ;)
Hurry summer, I have dresses waiting to be worn and this new bag to take along with me on fun summer outings!

x Leila

Don't forget, there is still time to enter my give away here!

24 comments:

  1. Lovely bag - all too often patchwork bags look a bit grannyish but this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very useful shape and size but beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this one turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I have just made the same bag with hexies!! I am pleased with mine but would make it a little stiffer next time, and I failed to quilt the hexies!!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. This bag is v.pretty! love the fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's so pretty! I always love your bags leila. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am saying ditto to anna. i always love your bags leila! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful! These quilted bags really intimidate me. You make them look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh good....I'm glad you've got rain too;-)

    Nice bag.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty, love the scraps you chose

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great shape, and the design works really well with squares.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bag is gorgeous! Scraps are so great for projects like that =D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its smashing! A keeper..........lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the bag, but do not love the rain; at least you have something pretty to look at x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the bag, you put fabrics together so wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so fantastic, Leila! Love the style, the choice of fabrics, the whole enchilada!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great bag! I love that book! Your fabric choices are perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the bag (enough to make a copy) and so love your choice of fabrics. The 'Paris' square is so appropriate for this Parisian chic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bag (like your others) is TOTALLY GORGEOUS.... I really, really need to get my hands on that book!
    PS Sorry about the rain...but at least you can join the "umbrella club" with everyone in the UK!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your bag is gorgeous! I have the same book and I keep on looking at the faboulous projects on it. Here in Italy always sunshine.....I wish to be able to send over a little bit of warm an sunny weather to all of you!!!!
    PS. Very nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Leila, weer een supertas! Wat een mooie combinaties maak je toch! Mijn handen jeuken.. heb wel wat resten liberty liggen ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a beautiful bag, I hope you get some sun.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your bag is absolutely beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. O I like that bag...Love it-love it-love it....perfect fabrics pieces for it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)