Monday, 3 September 2012

Happy Feet

Autumn is coming, and for me that means cold floors! My home would really benefit from underfloor heating but since I rent the place that isn't going to happen. The next best thing of course is a cozy pair of slippers.


slippers 1


And even better still if they are made with pretty pretty fabrics! Some of you commented before that you could never wear these for fear of spoiling them but for me it's quite the opposite. I look for ways to incorporate my favourites in things I can use daily. I believe pretty things should be used often they are the simple pleasures in life. So what if they get a bit dirty patchwork only gets better when you patch it up again!

The pattern I used is by Suzuko Koseki from her latest book Colour Couture. They are a little different from the previous ones I made. But once again they fit me perfectly, I think Suzuko and I have the same shoe size ;) In case you would like to make yourself a pair my size is: European 37 - UK 4 - US 6 1/2 - Australia  5. I made the pattern without any alterations so if your feet are smaller or larger you will need to alter the pattern pieces accordingly.

slipper 3


The pattern and instructions are in Japanese but as usual with Japanese craft books\ patterns there are helpful diagrams that show you how to construct the slippers. The only thing I changed was to add bias binding, it was a little fiddly to sew but I like the dark brown contrast against the Liberty florals.
And it matches the dark brown linen soles with anti slip rubber patches.


Many thanks to Liberty Lifestyle for so generously gifting me some Bloomsbury Gardens to play with! This much anticipated fabric collection is starting to come into stores now, you can buy yours here

x Leila

19 comments:

  1. So clever and pretty, I love the way that the two slippers are different too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually changed my mind. Far from not wanting to spoil them I think these are so pretty you'd have to stop me wearing them outside in the street to show them off to everyone I met!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, you'll have the coolest feet around this season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello i have been reading your blog for some time now. Blogs like your really inspired me to make a new posts and come up with new ideas. And i absolutely love it. Can i PLEASE ask u to follow my blog. I am dreaming of having more than 9 followers. I wold really appreciate it xxx

    http://babyemilycloset.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're beautiful Leila ... I'd wear them EVERYWHERE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them! I am with you on using what you make, even if it gets coffee spilt or ripped it is only fabric and excuse to make more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so pretty! Part of me wonders if they look even cuter because they're on your teeny feet. I am dying for a pair of cute house slippers. Maybe someday I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are super cute! Wow such dainty feet compared to my shoe size. You have a real point about just using fabric rather than hoarding it, who'll see it when it's just sitting on a shelf..it should be shown off =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. they are really gorgeous, and yore so right: pretty things should be used daily!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the slippers ~ so cute and they look really comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are just the prettiest slippers - I am definitely going to give them a try right now! (Also love to see some in your shop).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I so agree with you! The prettiest, nicest things are wonderful to use everyday. And when they wear out - hurrah for being enjoyed to their fullest! Your slippers are absolute gems. Really the prettiest I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh they are just the last word in gorgeous!! So pretty and beautiful, you will feel so lovely padding around the house in them. They make me want to stitch up my own pair to potter about in, but I think I would spend all my time on the couch with a cup of tea, with my feet up on a stool, so I could sip and admire my slippers. Thanks for the lovely pics. Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really did a great job on these. They are gorgeous! And I agree. What good is it to have beautiful things if you can't see them and use them?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)