Monday, 22 April 2013

Books and patchwork

My weekend was all about the books and patchwork.
I listened to the audio version of this amazingly brilliant book whilst sewing some more hexagon flowers for what one day will be a quilt- really it will! ;)
My weekend

I received Ayumi's book Patchwork Please in anticipation of the Zakka Sew Along.  Notice the sponsor goodies, I will be sharing these with you soon! I love Ayumi and everything she does so I knew I would love her book, and I do! Her projects are SO cute!  I started putting sticky notes on all the ones I want to make but soon had to stop as bookmarking each page seemed a bit silly.

patchwork please


 I left the comfort of my couch and audio book for a little while to sew this block from Patchwork 163. It is a tricky block with lots of Y seams. I must admit it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped.


Patchwork 163


I've gone blind to the good parts and can only see the faults, those uneven edges with not enough seam allowance - ouch. Oh well, I'm not in love with my work but the block is definitely pretty and worth another attempt some day.

163 block


It will have to wait though I have one more chapter to finish listening to before I'm ready to leave my couch yet :)

x Leila

14 comments:

  1. Isn't Ayumi's book the business!!?
    Shame about the block; rest assured, I feel that pain, way more often than you do! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do hate blocks that refuse to pander to your tender ministrations! I'm sure it'll seem much better next week though :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your block is gorgeous. I love the colors and fabrics (that is what I noticed). I have been looking for a good fiction book. I just looked that one up and I can tell it is a book I will love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished reading 1Q84 by Murakami! Isn't he a fabulous writer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. that block has a lot of potential. i'm sorry that you are disappointed with it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. The block looks gorgeous and who cares if you miss a few point tidying up the edges. It lppks like there is a lot of very fiddly work on this block and you should be proud you got the centre so perfect on your first attempt, don't be so hard on yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so easy to focus on the imperfections isn't it?It is a pretty block.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it looks great. Everyone that sees it will be amazed and if they are honeing in trying to find fault they aren't worth haveing in your life. Love all your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Ayumi's book too. She really outdid herself. I hope you can salvage that block because its really fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aah, books and sewing on the couch, bliss. You make it all look very cosy. And I love the fabric you are using for your hexagons. I almost always do paper piecing, it is very soothing I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, that block is SOOOO pretty! I can see why you aren't totally pleased with it, but definitely try again sometime. That book is already on my wish list...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the block too but haven't attempted it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Huge fan of Murakami... currently reading 1Q84. Norwegian Wood has been favorite thus far! I might need to look into getting some audio books. I always listen to music while I sew, but listening to a book sounds like a wonderful idea! Your block looks fine! The fabric combinations are lovely... focus on that and not the flaws ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been trying to remember since Mother's Day (when I received my Kindle)who had recommended The Wind-Up Bird. When you posted today I remembered. I love it. It is the first book I am reading on my Kindle and it is so good. I am not even half way through yet but I do love it. And now I think it is funny because in the same post you mention Patchwork Please. I bought that with some Mother's Day money and it is already one of my favorite craft books. I just started cutting for the books for baby quilt. Thanks again for the book recommendation and please recommend more.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)