Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Wednesday

Lately I haven't been very good at finishing anything I start.  I am keeping myself busy but have nothing to show for it in the end which leaves me with very little to blog about. It's one of those things I suppose, it happens to me now and then. I'm never quite sure if it's too many ideas or a lack of ideas that are inspired enough to actually stick.
My sewing room is filled with half sewn blocks, sketches and stacks of fabrics. Quilt blocks on piles waiting to be made into something, lots of projects in various states of 'unfinishedness'

For a while I sewed endless rows of scrap squares together just to go through the motions of creating something without actually making something (does that make any sense?!) It helps clear my head so fresh ideas will emerge.
SRC 2

As for finishes, I sewed two more Schoenrock Cross blocks which brings the total up to ten. Far from a quilt top yet but I still love them!



Schoenrock Cross

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend!
Ours was cold with icy winds and even some snow, but there was some sunshine as well and an endless supply of chocolate eggs to see us through :)

x Leila

16 comments:

  1. Sewing to sew makes total sense. When I just want to sew without having to think to much I work on sewing my selvages together. Somehow it is very calming. :)

    Beautiful blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be something in the air, similar here. I even tried crochet, I cannot say it was a success! I did make some tops though, one with some stunning Liberty Jersey from a friend ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel with that Leila! Sometimes it can be really hard to push through for a finish, and yet I have so many things on the go.... I hope you finish the squares you mentioned, the boost of a finish really does help. Love love love those blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that pink and black block. I don't know what it is about pink and black, but it's seriously classic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blocks. I hope your mojo returns soon. But it's also ok to take a break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really enjoying all of your Schoenrock cross blocks. Thanks for posting the quilt along, I plan on starting a quilt of these blocks using my most "precious" fabric collection in my stash. Just for me!

    I hear what you mean about sometimes just needing to sew scraps together. I'm considering just improv piecing a bunch of my scraps into blocks just to do something 'patternless'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything seems fine if there's a side dish of chocolate!
    Love your latest Schoenrocks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That first block is gorg' ;) I joined the flickr group over a month ago (I think?) hoping to have some time soon to join in -- that low volume one might be just the kick I need to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The blocks look great, hope your mojo meanders back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely blocks! I really love the process of sewing more than anything - I like where my mind goes. Which means I often sew just to sew and have too many unfinished projects too. I'm glad it's not just me :) Although I'd be pretty pleased with myself if I could start OR finish one of those fiddly Schoenrock Cross blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm with you on the sewing for sewings sake...I have been starting so many things recently (was going to do a blog post on all my starts...maybe one day it will turn into a post of my finishes too!). I think it does clear the mind. Well it does for me as the ideas just sitting there clogging up the mind until I have released them with at least a little sew.
    Your blocks do look beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful blocks! I understand completely what you mean with "sewing to sew" i do the same thing!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful blocks, Leila. I love the idea of just sewing scraps aimlessly to clear the head. I have also been feeling very unfinished and underproductive lately. I need some finishes to get my mojo back. Hmm.... Maybe I need aimless scrap sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your blocks - the colour and fabric combinations are just great. I think just messing around (even just going through the motions) is a great way to just let the ideas arrive in your head...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know what you mean Leila, creativity goes in cycles I think. In the meantime, those Schoenrock crosses are lovely. Hope you are back in the grove soon.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)