Monday, 17 June 2013

Fortune Cookie Clutch

How was your weekend?
I finally got round to making a Fortune Cookie Clutch. I've had the frame for about a year now it's shameful really! 
Fortune Cookie Clutch

You can get all you need to make this cute little purse at U-handbag
I dug into my scrap pile and cut a bunch of 1.5" squares for the main body, paired with my favourite Essex Yarn dyed linen.



Fortune Cookie Clutch


No matter how hard I try not to I always end up with glue everywhere trying to insert the pouch into the frame! Some of it ended up on the fabric unfortunately, I'm hoping I'll manage to tidy it up somehow. I was wondering if nail polish remover would work...but then I'm worried I might damage the fabric- any ideas?

Fortune Cookie Clutch

The phone charm was another sweet gift from Kerry.  I have an old crappy phone unworthy of such a cutie so I thought it was better suited here. It's a little bear sitting in front of his house eating from a bowl, so cute!


In other news the first glimpse of our book popped up, I'm sooo excited my umbrella block even made it to the cover! It will be a while before it's out yet but at least I can share this little preview now :) 

x Leila

12 comments:

  1. Adorable - I bought the fortune cookie purse kit from U-Handbag so had everything to make one and despite having made about 6 frame purses before that one it was definitely the hardest to glue in by far. I think I've used nail varnish remover successively just don't use an oily one as that'll probably bleed the colours in the fabric too. Maybe test some with a cotton bud and scraps of the same fabric first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I love how it opens out so big! And congrats on making the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief...who isn't in a book!!

    Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous little purse! I love your lining fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats on the book!
    such a cute purse~ love the little charm too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty - and my Amazon wish list is rapidly expanding ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was advice given by Rosa in the frame purse swap I ran last year! I think she actually read the instructions that came with the glue! Who knew there were any!?

    It says that

    1) do not rub the glue into the fabric

    2) stains on fabric can be removed with a tiny bit of acetone. Try it out on a piece of fabric first to see if the fabric distorts or loose color.
    I tried it on some other project - be sure to only add very very little acetone on the cloth that you will rub the glue off with. And dont rub too hard or too much. Acetone is very toxic and highly flammable and also vaporates very quickly.
    Be patient. Repeat the process.

    Be sure to throw the cloth away... like in really away. Cloths soaked in acetone can self combust.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable clutch Leila! Did you use water soluble glue? I can't wait to see the book! It will surely be a stunner without a doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the clutch! I've been needing a new purse, so maybe I'll try this. Excited about the book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats with the book with your umbrella on it! Wonderful!
    The purse is so lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Depending on the kind of glue, and if you can get your iron to it, an iron and parchment paper can work wonders. Or a hairdryer can melt some glues down enough that you can get rid of them with a warm, soapy rag. I'd still test the fabric first, either way.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)