Friday, 14 June 2013

Theresa Dress

With only two weeks left before our summer holidays start I'm in a frenzy to whip up some new clothes. I will be away for the entire month of July and want some handmade garments to wear to Fat Quarterly retreat. Wasting no time I plunged myself right into the Theresa dress.

I know it's not modest or anything but this is the best dress I have ever sewn! I'm actually quite proud of myself.



Theresa Dress

It is such a flirty and feminine dress with it's twirly skirt and fitted bodice, I simply love it. The pattern is available for download on the BurdaStyle website. I love being able to download a pattern and get started straightaway. The instructions that come along with the pattern however...well let's just say they could be better ;)

I panicked a little at first, I had this beautiful Liberty lawn that I for sure did not want to mess up. I could not remember the last time I had sewn an invisible zipper (if ever I still don't know!) The construction of the yoke had me puzzled. I wasn't feeling overly confident I could knock this one out.

Theresa Dress

I took my time with it but did not have to make any major adjustments to the fit of the pattern. Which was a big plus as I think I may have chickened out otherwise. I did have to take out the yoke and the armbinding as the yoke was wavy and the binding gaped. I am glad I went back to fix them as they look much nicer now.
Like I said I can not remember if I had ever sewn an invisible zipper before, I had to rush out to go buy a foot for my machine so if I had it was a loooong time ago. It was easy enough really I had no problems with it.  I found this tutorial to be very helpful.

Theresa Dress


Did I mention I love this dress? It's been far too long since I spun around in my new dress :)

x Leila

17 comments:

  1. so pretty and summery! congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely be proud! You did a great job on that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Great job, the dress is beautiful and you look so lovely in it. And the twirly photo sums it all - pure joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a really beautiful dress. What is the liberty fabric called

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! And it looks beautiful on you! Love these pictures and the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks stunning! You're making me yearn to be more adventurous with the garment sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you cutie pie!!! Bravo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks amazing Leila! looking forward to seeing all your creations for real! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just knew it would suit you and it does absolutely perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look so happy in it! No need to be modest when it's a super great accomplishment to complete something that makes you happy! I hate sewing in zippers, so I'll have to take a look at the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's a great dress, and it suits you very well indeed! Makes me want to sew one for myself... If only there were more time...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Came out perfectly; it's so flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so gorgeous, I do love a twirly dress!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)